What's up, Europe? Gender, media and European integration. The story of a a young Dane exploring the continent.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Clever commentary

It does not happen that often - but once in a while I agree with the Danish prime minister. This quote about the infamous cartoons and the attitude of Danish intellectuals I even applaude:

"Writers and others that at the utmost benefit from freedom-of-speech have failed when it comes to this matter. And I think I know why - they see it in a totally different light [...] They disapprove of the Danish Peoples Party, they disapprove of Jyllands-Posten and they disapprove of the government. And possibly in that order. Because it is close to hate when it comes to these three factors they seem unable to stand up and defend freedom-of-speech..."

Politiken, February 28 2006 (my translation from Danish)