What's up, Europe? Gender, media and European integration. The story of a a young Dane exploring the continent.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Being political

"As feminist political philosophers have repeatly shown, the incorporation of "the feminine" in the political domain has been constructed by otherwise sharply opposed authors as undermining its rational and universal basis. In the form of explicit treatment of the nature of politics such views have disappeared from the public arena. However, when reviewing the experience of women in politics, their struggle with the dominant codes of conduct, and their representation in various media, it is clear that a practice, politics is still very much constructed as male territory." (Liesbet van Zoonen, 2004)

Today, I have joined a new blog community - a political one! Which of course is great and I hope my blog will attract some readers (eventhough more frequent updates might be a necessity!). Nevertheless, it seems that my gender somehow turned out to be relevant in relation to this. And I wonder why? Maybe I will have another way of adressing politics than the opposite gender. Maybe I'll mix my postings on politics with other types of postings - or maybe I'll do "hybrids". Or maybe I'll just do it the old-fashioned way and comment on the cover stories of Danish newspapers. Hell, maybe I'll even bring up feminism. We'll see. One thing is for sure: This blog is political. It might just not be in the way everybody expects it to be.

No comments: