What's up, Europe? Gender, media and European integration. The story of a a young Dane exploring the continent.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Identity Crisis # 2

A year ago I had my first identity crisis. It's a well-known fact that you're suppose to have a crisis when you turn 25. Well, for some obscure reason I started believing that I was 25 and -not surprisingly - a crisis came along. A week before my birthday this year I found out I was actually only 24 and just about to turn 25. Woops. Even though I felt a bit silly I was happy that the infamous crisis at 25 was over and dealt with.

Or so I thought.

Some days ago I was asked to "consider your primary affiliation in terms of identity and community". Piece of cake, I thought to myself, of course I'm a world-citizen-cosmopolitian-very-liberal-embrace-all-cultures-and-not-determined-by-my-own-cultural-background-kind-of-person! But then I gave it some thought.

Actually I'm not. I'm as Danish as you get. I have all the rights and privilegies of Danish people and my values are undoubtly Danish which has both a downside and an upside. As a Dane I'm a big fan of democracy and solidarity but at the same time somewhat intolerant to those not sharing these values. As a Danish political science scholar said it: "We are so tolerant that we are intolerant".

That's me. And I'll keep this self-analysis in mind before again claiming to be a world-citizen-cosmopolitian-very-liberal-embrace-all-cultures-and-not-determined-by-my-own-cultural-background-kind-of-person.

2 comments:

J.p. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Weight Loss said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.